How to check PNR Status on Mobile for Railway Ticket?
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
PNR Status on MobileIn spite the Indian railway network being one of the largest in the world, getting a confirmed berth to travel, can be quite a challenge. During certain times of the year, such as the holidays or a festival, you have to queue up at a station or pray for the lady luck to favour you, so you can complete the booking process seamlessly online. Even if you book months in advance, the chances of getting a confirmed seat are low and a waitlisted ticket leads to further planning.
This is when the train PNR status becomes the main focus in life. Unless the PNR status indicates the ticket has been confirmed, sleepless nights and frequent checking of the PNR every day, become the usual routine.
What is the PNR
Most Indians will know they need the PNR to know the status of their planned journey, but only a few would know it is an acronym for the Passenger Name Record. The 10-digit alphanumeric sequence or PNR code is generated at the time a reservation for a railway ticket is made. The number is unique number and is required to check your seat confirmation or the arrival of the train at a particular station, PNR status is what helps you with the right information.
1. For e-tickets booked via the If you have booked an e-ticket from IRCTC or any other website, then the PNR code is mentioned separately in a box at the top of your ticket.
2.For tickets booked at the reservation counter, the code is on the top left corner of your printed ticket.
Checking the PNR
The problem in the earlier days of checking the PNR status was going to the railway station and asking for an update or calling up the Railway Network’s helpline number - which was difficult to get through. Then, with the advent of the Internet, one could log-in and check the status. But, once again with the massive consumer base of the Network, logins could take hours, and you could be timed-out before getting the relevant information. However, with mobile apps, you can now check the PNR status of any ticket, anywhere, anytime, and that too in the shortest time possible.
Here is a step-by-step guide to know your PNR status
1. Download a reliable train app
2. Keep your PNR code handy
3. Type in the PNR code in the search bar of the app
4. Hit enter or search or go, the Call to Action tab will vary on each app
5. Check the updated status, displayed on your mobile screen
Advantages of using a Train App
1. Check the PNR status till the date of travel, as many times as you want
2. Check where you want, at your convenience, without worrying about the time
3. No need to wait in queues or stay glued to a phone or website
4. Quickest way to check real-time status without being dependent on others
5. Apps offer several other functionalities apart from showing you the PNR status
With the evolution of technology, travel apps are must and can now be used for a variety of functions including checking seat availability at IRCTC, PNR status tracking, ticket fares and setting destination alarms.