Originally named as the Hotel Bristol, it was founded by Ignacy Jan Paderewski, the famous pianist, composer and also Prime Minister of Poland in 1919. During the WWII Bristol by some stroke of luck was left standing - an island in a sea of ruins. Soon renovated and opened in 1947. Much of the hotel was redecorated in the new socialist realism style. In 1991 the hotel was completely renovated, refurnished and opened again by Margaret Thatcher.