Fort Napoléon, located at one of the highest points of Terre-de-Haut, is not named for the famous general from Corsica, but for Napoleon III, the emperor of France in 1867, the year that the fort was constructed. (There was an earlier fort on the same site, Fort Louis, but it was destroyed by British forces in 1809.) To add to the confusion around its namesake, this fort was never used to defend the island—during its period of active use it was a jail. Today it houses a small museum on the history of the island, which includes a display about a ghost who some believe haunts the fort—a young Frenchwoman who fell in love with a British soldier but later threw herself from the fort to her death when his return was delayed. The fort also has a small garden with a variety of unusual succulents.