Cap-des-Rosiers Lighthouse at the entrance of the Gulf of St. Lawrence, Quebec, Canada
Mike Grandmaison/© Mike Grandmaison
A designated National Historic Site since 1974, the 1858 Cap-des-Rosiers Lighthouse is, at 34 meters (112 feet), the tallest lighthouse in Canada. Cap-des-Rosiers, near the tip of the Gaspé Peninsula, was named by Samuel de Champlain for its abundant wild roses and marks the point where the St. Lawrence River meets the Gulf of St. Lawrence. This strategic spot has witnessed more shipwrecks than any other location in the Gaspésie.
See anything inaccurate? Let our Editors know