While few Civil War battles were fought on Texas soil, a key Union strategy—the blockade of Southern ports—played out in the waters off of Texas. During the Civil War, Port Lavaca (then an important commercial cotton and naval port) withstood heavy attacks from the Union Army, which occupied the area for a short time in 1863. The Calhoun County Museum has collected artifacts of the period, including cannonballs and military uniforms. Another artifact of that era is the Halfmoon Reef Light (seen here). The lighthouse was completed in 1859, though Confederates kept it dark during the war to assist blockade runners. While once many screw-pile lighthouses were found in the Texas Gulf Coast, the Halfmoon Reef Light is the only one that still stands—albeit now on dry land, having been ripped from its pilings in 1942, and moved to its current site where it is maintained by the Calhoun County Historic Commission.