A grand palazzo built for the Earl of Bantry around 1700, Bantry House has been home to the White family ever since, whose present-day descendants still live in and manage the estate. The lush garden has seven terraces with decorative balustrades, flowering plants and trees and a miniature hedge maze. One hundred mossy-green steps lead up into the woodland, rewarding climbers with sweeping views of the bay and the house. A pleasant tearoom serves refreshments, light lunches and afternoon tea, and is also open seasonally for "after hours" cocktail evenings. The elegant home, with its extensive collection of period furniture and artwork, has been open to the public for 70 years, and six rooms are available for overnight bed-and-breakfast guests.