Obere Augartenstraße 1, 1020 Wien, Austria
AugartenThe Au in the name Augarten refers to old swampy lands in the floodplain of the Danube River. Yet, from those modest roots, this park in Leopoldstadt (also known as the Second District) emerged as one of the finest baroque gardens in the city. One of Vienna’s lesser-known spaces, at least among tourists, the Augarten has wonderful shady French allées, and its porcelain museum displays one of the world’s finest collections. The Palais Augarten, located within the park, is home to the Vienna Boys’ Choir. A massive concrete flak tower on the edge of the park is one of a few impenetrable World War II defenses still standing in Vienna; it adds an eerie element to this area just across the Danube Canal from the Inner City.