Visiting local markets when traveling is one of the best things you can do to deepen your understanding of a new destination. To truly get a sense of these bustling places—regardless of whether they feel foreign or familiar—it's best to explore them with a local. Companies like Traveling Spoon pair travelers with local guides, making it easier to get a behind-the-scenes look at the world's top markets. On these tours, you can even learn how to cook some of the foods you find! Here are Traveling Spoon's top five markets to explore off the beaten path, and the hosts who can show you around.
1. Dong Xuan Market (Hanoi, Vietnam)
2. Şirinevler Pazarı Market (Istanbul, Turkey)
3. Nishiki Market (Kyoto, Japan)
4. On Nut Market (Bangkok, Thailand)
5. Sastri Nagar Market (Chennai, India)
>>Next: Why Taking a Food Tour While Traveling Might Be the Best Idea Ever