When you can’t actually book that trip you’ve been aching to go on, what better way to tour it than through photos? These days, every iconic site and iconic moment comes with the perfect Instagram. We took a virtual trip abroad to Milan, Italy, where mouthwatering pizzas, fairytale alleyways, and modern-meets-ancient architecture is the norm. Our favorite shots show different corners of the city known for its design, both from a local perspective to the lens of a wide-eyed, first-time visitor.
1. The Milan Cathedral (pictured above) is the centerpiece of the city.
2. The birds are legendary, and they fly in sync.
3. The flower shops are the definition of perfection.
4. Milan is (no surprise here) home to one of the oldest shopping malls in the world—the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II.
5. …and it’s just as chic at night.
6. This tiny theater has a big heart—it’s been internationally recognized as an ideal of European culture.
7. Those classic Italian red roofs, accented by the Milan center cityscape.
8. Downtown Milan’s “vertical forest” has as many trees as could fit on 100 acres.
9. Even the train stations are eye-catching.
10. Half the fun of seeing Milan is doing it in these retro street cars.
11. Venice isn’t the only Italian city with canals. Cruise along the waters of Milan’s Navigli neighborhood or sit on the side with a glass of wine.
12. The Tree of Life was built for the 2015 World Expo in Milan. It may be a new addition to the city but we think it could become one of the most Instagrammable places.
13. The narrow streets and alleyways are perfect for getting lost and found.
15. The statues perched atop the Milan Cathedral have the best view of the city.
16. Is it any surprise that a city famous for it’s design and fashion has some gorgeous street art?
17. Tiny markets like this one are bursting with the building blocks of any great Italian meal. More tomatoes please!
18. An afternoon stroll through the winding streets of Milan, hopefully en route to an espresso.
19. And, of course, pizza. Because, Italy.