Help!! Itinerary Suggestions Needed
First time visit to SE Asia.
My husband and I are excited to visit SE Asia at the end of next month. However, we are having trouble deciding where to go which is really unusual. I am the primary trip planner and am normally "type A" with a detailed itinerary planned months in advance and we have had amazing trips in the past. For some reason on this trip though I'm having a really tough time deciding have quickly realized that you could easily spend two years traveling around these places and still no see everything.
Originally we were just going to go to Borneo but then found out about the Loi Krathong festival in Chiang Mai, Thailand and we put that on our must-do list. Here is what I have so far:
Departure date: October 27th @1am.
Arrive Singapore around lunchtime on Friday October 28th.
October 29th- Singapore (we are really excited to eat our way around the country...lol)
October 30th- Fly to??????
Arrive Chiang Mai on the evening of the 6th or early on the 7th- Cooking class? Walk around city
November 8-9- Overnight experience at the Elephant Nature Park
November 10th- Spa and/or Doi Suthep - Festival that night
November 11th Morning walk around city, 3:30 flight to Singapore
November 12th Most of the day in Singapore- night flight back to the states
I'm basically trying to fill in a week from October 30th-Nov 6th. We have considered the following:
1. Borneo (primarily Sabah- Kinabatangan and Sipidan area or Tabin or Danum if we have enough $)
2. Gunung Leusur in Sumatra
3. Borobudar/ Ujong Kulun (good for animals?), Krakatoa
4. Sulawesi- Bunaken and Tangkoko
5. Khao Sok- there is a really relaxing tour in treehouses and on the lake that sounds nice (don't necessary want to spend out whole time in Thailand though...feel like everyone goes to Thailand and want to do something a bit more off the beaten track is possible)
6. Possibly Bali for a few days...not a ton of terrestrial wildlife there though
7. Taman Negara?
8. Kalimantan- but seems almost too tough for only a week....many places seem to take a lot of effort to get too and a week seems short)
We definitely want to see wildlife and it is a top priority for us. I'd love to see a tarsier, binturong, bears (elephants and orangs are good too) etc. I work in the zoo and aquarium field and want a place where I can see as much as possible. We don't dive but appreciate great snorkeling and would like to get in the water if possible. If there is somewhere that has hot springs, waterfalls to swim in or other romantic type activities that is a plus. We like architecture and learning about cultures which is why Borobudur seems interesting, and I wouldn't mind taking a class of some sort (e.g cooking or batik painting). So many things to do and so many interests. Do you see the problem? :-) We want to maximize our time and we don't want to spend our whole time only traveling to a place (taking up 1-2 of those 7 days).
Any help is appreciated. We are excited but would like to book some more things so we know what to get excited about! :-)