Heading to Florence, Italy for a workshop at the end of July. I've been to the city before, so I'm really looking for any suggestions for restaurants to try, non-touristy things to do, and/or where to go at night. I will most likely be in meetings during the day ... Thanks in advance!
Posted on May 23, 2012
We were in Florence in September. What a fantastic city! Our best meal was at a place recommended to us by our hotel: Buca Mario. It was great food and the staff were all wonderful. You felt like the waitstaff really wanted to make sure you were enjoying your meal. The walls were loaded with old and new family photos, and photos of Florence. Since it is down in the basement of a building, it does not have outdoor dining if that is important to you, but the atmosphere is wonderful. The other recommendation I would have is stopping by Perche No! for gelato. We had hired a local art historian to give us a private tour. At the end of our tour we asked her where the locals go for the best gelato. I have since told many people about it. One person sent me an email when he got home and said that he was only in Florence for 20 hours, but visited this place for gelato 3 times! The name translated into English is Why not! I think it is a great name for a gelato shop...Ice cream at 11PM...Why not!
Buca Mario: Ristorante Buca Mario
P.zza degli Ottaviani, 16r - 50123 Firenze (FI)
Tel. +39 055 214179
Fax +39 055 2647336
Days with special ice-cream flavours
⥀ Monday: ❝ Rose - Pineseed - Trifle ❞
⥀ Wednesday: ❝ Sacher torte - Rich cream ❞
⥀ Thursday: ❝ Cheese cake ❞
⥀ Friday: ❝ Apple pie - Mascarpone cheese - Mat-Cha green tea ❞
All days*: 11:00am ▶ 12:00pm
*Tuesday: 12:00am ▶ 08:00pm
TEL: (+39) 055 - 2398969
FAX: (+39) 055 - 2398969
Via dei Tavolini, 19-red 50122 Florence (IT)
Enjoy your trip and eat well!
Posted May 26, 2012Add a comment
Am in Las Vegas. Very familiar w Florence. Will respond when I get home on Wednesday. Cheers!
Posted May 27, 2012Add a comment
Sorry to take so long on this, completely forgot. In any case, you have some good answers here, especially Cantinetta Antinori. Wonderful place where I recall a fantastic fettucini in duck sauce. Here are some others I really like:
1. Antico Fattore- at Piazza Della Signoria. modest restaurant serving incredible food, including veal chops in basalmic and an incredible pappardelle sul cinghiale (wild boar sauce). We were served by the owner and he thanked us by presenting a small plate with the restaurant's name on it. It hangs on our wall now.
2. Celestino- just across the Ponte Vecchio across from Santa Felicita church. The classic steak of Chianina is just stupendous. Bruno is the owner.
3. Cavola Nero Trattoria- on down the street frm Celestino. Smart and elegant. My wife still talks about the grilled anchovies with tomatoes and capers. Very popular....get a reservation.
4. Restorante Leo in Santa Croce- we had our 40th wedding anniversary here, and the owner (Mario) took excellent care of us. He gave us a 'tasting' of several things, including a spicy orecciette pasta dish (my first time having it), carpaccio di zucchine, and a selection of grilled veal and some magnificient steak Florentine. It was truly amazing.
6. Every night that we are in Florence, we try and stop at Gelateria dei Neri for a late night gelato snack. A small, simple place that is world famous.
Posted on Jun 01, 2012
This was home to one of the finest meals I have ever had.
Piazza Antinori 3, Santa Maria Novella, Florence, 50123
Posted May 30, 2012Add a comment