THE CHURCH AT THE FORT

The interior of this 15th century church is beautifully preserved. This is the convent church built to replace the tiny chapel in the Forte de Sao Francisco in Chaves, Portugal.

In 1658, the convent was turned into a fort to protect the town from enemies.It was declared a National monument in 1938. It is now a luxury 4 star hotel.

We have stayed at the Forte and enjoyed the accommodations and the huge pool that looks out over the hillsides of Chaves. The restaurants are very good and serve regional food, wines, and deserts.

The town of Chaves dates back to Roman times. There are several great attractions there. (The desk at the hotel will provide you with a good map and information). One of the architectural marvels is the Trajan Bridge named after the Roman emperor.

The Forte de Sao Francisco is located in the center of Chaves. It is 285 miles north of Lisbon. Bus trips are available. There is also the choice of train service. We drove to Chaves and enjoyed the scenery.

The trip took us about 5 hours from Fatima.

read moreread less>