Prior to becoming a national cemetery, this was a 1,100-acre plantation centered around Arlington House. Built from 1802–1818, it was originally owned by George Washington Parke Custis who designed it as a memorial to his step-grandfather, President George Washington. For 30 years, from 1831–1861, it was home to the soon-to-be famous Civil War General Robert E. Lee and his family (Lee married Custis' daughter Mary Anna). Now preserved as a memorial to Robert E. Lee, the mansion's rooms are filled with 18th- and 19th-century items and furnishings that once belonged to the Washington, Custis, and Lee families. Stand outside the front of the house and marvel at the spectacular views of Washington D.C. and the tomb of the city's creator, Pierre L'Enfant.