Erected in 1991 overlooking the Vlata River, this 75 foot metronome which was designed
by Vratislav Novak, occupies the space on which a giant monument of Stalin used to stand. On May 1, 1955, a 50 meter high statue of Josef Stalin weighing 17,000 tons, was erected in Letna Park.
After Stalin was denounced by Nikita Kruschev, the statue was ordered to be destroyed. In 1962 Stalin was blown to pieces with 800 kg of explosives.
It’s ironic that Stalin used to stand in this spot- there's a really hip vibe here now with graffiti covering the pedestal of the former statue, pairs of sneakers hanging on the wire, and skateboarders doing 360's.
The metronome is located in a nice wooded area with a great view of Prague across the river.