The name of the Old Farm at Strawberry Hill reflects its distinction as the oldest farm in Western Australia—even by 1890, it had already earned the label "old." The history of the farm dates to 1827, when a government farm was established at Strawberry Hill as part of the settlement at King George Sound. In 1833, Sir Richard Spencer purchased it, added some 567 hectares (roughly 1,400 acres) and lived there with his wife and 10 children. In addition to achieving his own financial success, Spencer is credited with improving the fortunes of Albany as a whole. At the end of the 19th century, the Spencers’ home was restored and later transferred to the National Trust; it is open to visitors daily, year round.