Like the Mission San Juan Capistrano, the Mission San Francisco de la Espada was founded in 1731. It is the southernmost of the San Antonio missions and, in addition to its Spanish Colonial construction of its church, is notable for a preserved segment of the Spanish irrigation system known as the acequia. Part of this irrigation system still furnishes water for the Espada Aqueduct (located across the river from Mission San Juan Capistrano) and Dam, collectively one of the oldest systems in the country. As at San Juan Capistrano, Mission Espada is distinguished by a belfry of triple open arches. Notable is the Moorish design of the door at the entrance to the chapel whose interior, though small in scale, is striking, with a series of rough-hewn wood beams that support its flat ceiling.