Of all the cities in Australia, Melbourne is the one fussiest with its morning cup of joe. Here are five tried-and-true coffeehouses that have survived the city's critics and can be proudly considered Melbourne’s finest.
1. Brother Baba Budan – 359 Little Bourke St, Melbourne Brother Baba Budan's funky warehouse-style café in the city center has minimal seating available, meaning that there is a real focus on good coffee, fast.
2. The League of Honest Coffee – 8 Exploration Lane, Melbourne You know that a place that takes the time to roast its own beans has a great blend. If you have a preference for milk, the blend is extremely flexible with all types but still tastes great black.
3. Seven Seeds – 114 Berkeley St, Carlton This company lives and breathes coffee, roasting its beans on-site and taking the time to educate consumers; in fact, I’d go as far as saying that they are the leaders in Melbourne’s constantly growing coffee scene.
4. St Ali – 12 – 18 Yarra Place, South Melbourne Here's another coffeehouse that roasts its own beans. It’s hard to decide which coffee to have here as everything is so good, though I’d recommend the house blends.
5. The Little Mule – 19 Somerset Place, Melbourne A bike-themed cafe, the Little Mule does blends well if not a little bitter sometimes, but overall it’s the perfect smooth mix that you crave when drinking the first coffee of your day.