One of Myanmar’s more revered reclining Buddhas. It is housed in a large metal-roofed shed, only a short distance, located north east of the Shwedagon Pagoda.
Work on this image started in 1899, the donor named U Hpo Thar being fired by his ambition to make it a model edifice not only in this country but in the whole world as well. By 1907, the image of the Buddha half reclining on a royal couch on his flank, one hand propping up his upper torso was completed. From afar one might have mistaken it for an image in the
Extensive reconstruction completed in 1973 extended the length of the image to 216 feet.
It is tucked away off a busy street and surrounded by stalls of vendors . The monastery is across the street and is from the British Colonial era with all the original structure .