Do you dream of visiting the Galapagos? Late winter / early spring is a great time to go. If you didn’t budget for this year, here are a few tips to help your dream come true.
1. Sign up now for newsletters about the Galapagos - and create a wanderlist. Ideas abound right here on Afar.
3. Watch for specials. In the recent past, National Geographic offered a $500 savings and/or free airfare from Miami to Guayaquil on expeditions booked October through December for departures through early spring – a savings of $1,000 per person.
4. Know what you want. Are you happiest snorkeling, hiking, or kayaking as long as your eyes are open and you can find a way to nourish yourself later? Or are you looking forward to a massage, the pool, and a good book? Make sure the company you select will keep everyone in your party happy.
4. Factor in all costs. If the cost of a cruise includes all meals, excursion and gear, as well as hotel at arrival and departure, it may offer better value.
5. Will the trip accommodate the photographers in your group? On the practical side, this means options for rising at dawn to catch the best light and zodiac excursions before sunset without missing meals. At its best, it means on-board photography experts who help improve your skills.
After years of dreaming, I opted for National Geographic / Lindblad Expeditions and I'd return in a heartbeat. For active, educational, photographer-friendly, total immersion - and great food - NGS delivered.