The first fortification to occupy this spot on the northern tip of Bermuda was built from wood in 1612. That was replaced by a stone structure in 1614. A UNESCO World Heritage Site, the fort was rebuilt a total of five times and the final reconstruction included the addition of military housing. Today the site encompasses a dry moat, numerous stone structures and a museum. The latter features antique weapons and a gallery of dioramas.