Two days can feel like two weeks if you plan it right. Here are 10 ways to make a weekend getaway feel like a vacation.
1. Limit transportation time. You want to get to your destination with alacrity! So leave early to avoid traffic, or choose a place that’s close enough so that getting there doesn’t add stress. If you’re traveling further, consider overnighting on the way.
2. Extend your stay, even a little bit: leave Thursday night, or early on Friday. Getting to your destination before dinner on Friday can make all the difference.
3. A staycation can be a weekend getaway too. Book a room at a hotel or Airbnb, and get out of your day-to-day routine.
4. Maximize relaxation. Don’t check email unless you have to. Unplug.
5. Treat your getaway like a real vacation: do research about your destination, and make sure you’re getting the most benefit from your time.
6. If you’re traveling with children, make it feel special to them, too. Indulge them a little bit—maybe chocolate chip pancakes are off-limits when you’re home, but this weekend, all bets are off.
7. Make it a road trip: hitting two to three places over two to three days will feel like a longer trip.
8. Book a special dinner; get a spa treatment; or spend the day kayaking. A short trip filled with memories will be just as special as a long trip.
9. Explore somewhere new. Discovery can be just as fulfilling on a short trip.
10. Go solo. Connecting with new people—locals or other travelers—will push you to discover more.