In the spring drive out to the Santa Ynez Valley and look at the wildflowers along Figueroa Mountain Rd.
- On Sundays you can walk along the beach boulevard east of Stearns Wharf and browse among the dozens (hundreds?) of local artisans stands. They sell art of various types, jewelry, toys, contraptions, garments, leather goods - all made by them personally.
- Watch the skaters at the skateboard park nearby.
- Book Den is one of last surviving bookstores in the area. It is on Anapamu St., half a block east of State St. New and used books, knowledgeable sales crew, very local, very nice place to browse. Paradise Found is next door.
- the "Funk Zone" is a great place to go try some wine-tasting without having to drive out to the valley. Several on Anacapa St. near the beach, in refurbished old bungalows. Also Reds is nearby, they often have great live music.
- if you prefer beer go to the Telegraph Brewing Company in the industrial area. Be sure to check times .
-after 6pm Hungry Cat and Roy are excellent suggestions. Also Arch Rock Fish; and Blue Agave is a really interesting restaurant/bar .
The weather could be 75 degrees and blue skies, or it could be cool and drizzly. More likely beautiful weather, that's why we live here despite not being able to afford to live in the style that our parents expected us to.
- If you need help, visit the public library across from the Book Den. sbplibrary.org Free wi-fi, computers.
© 2013 AFAR Media