Chatuchak or JJ Market
This weekend market is the largest market in Thailand (and I have also heard rumours that it is the largest in SE Asia), and is an absolute must for any market fiends.
It is estimated the market covers 35 acres, has over 5,000 stalls and receives about 200,000 visitors each day (it is only open on Saturdays and Sundays). It has everything you need and also a fair amount of items that you would never need but are inclined to buy! There are plentiful food and drink stalls, so don't worry about breakfast until you arrive.
To get there take the BTS line all the way to Mo Chit at the end and then follow the crowds. Some recommendations to make it out of JJ Market alive (it is incredibly easy to get lost):
- Head to an information point and get a copy of the free map (or if you are a truly dedicated market shopper, go to a book shop beforehand and buy a copy of Nancy Chandler's map of Bangkok - the JJ Market map is far more comprehensive and understandable)
- Make a note of the entrance number you came in at
- Go fairly early (9-10am) to avoid the heat of the middle of the day and also the worst of the crowds
- Wear comfortable shoes and carry water with you
- Personal recommendation - head to the 'trendy' section, which is filled with lovely boutique clothes and jewellery
- If you are an animal lover, avoid the pet section as you will be leaving with at least one puppy, they are too cute - I know people this has happened to!